Monday 18 August 2014

MY MORNING WALK


I live in suburban Kew.  My usual morning walk is to the east, away from the city.  I always see Rainbow Lorikeets (our most common bird), Australian Magpies, Little Ravens (that nest at the end of our street), Red Wattlebirds and, unfortunately, Spotted Doves.  I usually see Magpie-larks and Common Mynas.  I often see Grey Butcherbirds, Brown Thornbills, Common Starlings and Feral Pigeons. I am seeing Noisy Miners more and more frequently.  They are newcomers, along with Pied Currawongs and Little Corellas, while we have lost White-plumed Honeyeaters, which used to be common.  I sometimes hear Spotted Pardalotes, but I don't always see them.

This morning, I walked to the west, towards the city.  I was surprised at how different the birds were.  I've always known that if I want to see Little Wattlebirds, I should head west, not east, but the entire birdlife was different this morning.  There were Crested Pigeons, Long-billed Corellas and Welcome Swallows in the corner park.  Noisy Miners were bombing the corellas.  I used to see Eastern Rosellas here, but it's been a long time since I last saw one.  Sulphur-crested Cockatoos squawked overhead, and I thought I was going to miss out on my usually common Rainbow Lorikeets, until they put in an appearance just as I arrived home.  I saw Silver Gulls flying overhead too, but not a hint of butcherbirds anywhere.  I also dipped on magpies and Red Wattlebirds, but I saw lots of Spotted Doves, several Common Mynas, and one Common Blackbird.

I really would not have thought that the birdlife could be so different, walking in different directions from my home.  I will have to be more adventurous in future, and try other directions too.  I've been walking east for many years, and think I know the birds well on that route, but who knows what I might find if I venture north?

No comments:

Post a Comment